Wednesday, February 24, 2010

For the Birds

Ever since Patty demonstrated Mini Milk Carton Bird Houses at Leadership in Phoenix, they've been everywhere!  Here's my take on them...



Isn't it sweet...or should I say "tweet"!!!!  The girls at my "To Die For" class (featuring the Mini Milk Carton Die!) last week loved this project!

My birdhouse is made from Kraft cardstock stamped with the Sanded background with Close to Cocoa.  I think it looks a bit like birch bark.


The roof is a 4 x 2 1/2 piece of Close to Cocoa cardstock.  I scored it at the 2 " mark so it would fold in half and then I scored it 1/4" in from each of the long sides to create the part you see in the front (after building our house you'd think I would remember the technical term for that, but it escapes me right now!!!).  I also scalloped the edges of the roof.  The all the edges of the house are sponged with Chocolate Chip ink.

Along the bottom, I used a piece of Bella Bleu DSP punched with the Scallop Edge punch (remember you can get this punch FREE when you place a $65 order!).  The bird is pretty straight forward...I used the new bird punch in the Occasions Mini.  The bird is Not Quite Navy and the wing is punched from Bella Blue DSP, then stuck on the bird with a Stampin' Dimensional.  The branch was punched twice...once from Close to Cocoa and once from Old Olive.  I cut the leaves off the Old Olive branch and glued them to the Close to Cocoa one.

I'm most excited about the bottom...


I wanted to be able to put treats inside and have the recipient be able to get the treats without destroying the box.  When I punched the hole, it also punched one of the flaps (this is unavoidable), so I cut that flap off.  Then I cut the two side flaps half off and attached on of the pieces I cut off to the last flap left, folded it over and it makes a flap box closure.  The flap is a tight fit so the weight of treats won't push it open and when you get the treats out, it's super easy to close again.  You could also put one of those little flameless tealights inside!

That's all for today!  Have an inspired day!

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I'm a little late getting to this - just got the die and just saw this on Stampin' Connection! TFS this great tip. Lisa!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments. It means a lot to know there there are people out there reading my little blog and being inspired by what I create! Happy stampin' and have an inspired day!